There is a rather amusing article that appeared in the December 3, 2008 issue of Slate magazine. Over the past year, it has been increasingly difficult to find coins - especially the 1-peso coin. Just today, in a taxi on my way to the ferry to Uruguay, my fare was $8.75 pesos. I gave the driver a $10 peso bill and, instead of giving me a 1-peso coin back (you round up to the nearest peso), he gave me a 2-peso bill (there are no 1-peso bills) because he didn't want to lose his treasured 1-peso coin. More and more, shops are turning down sales if it meant having to give away their 1-peso coins. So, I've caught on and I now save every one I get back in change (when I get them back). Click here to read the article and get a laugh out of what a crazy economy we have here.
Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
05 December 2008
Yes, we have no monedas!
There is a rather amusing article that appeared in the December 3, 2008 issue of Slate magazine. Over the past year, it has been increasingly difficult to find coins - especially the 1-peso coin. Just today, in a taxi on my way to the ferry to Uruguay, my fare was $8.75 pesos. I gave the driver a $10 peso bill and, instead of giving me a 1-peso coin back (you round up to the nearest peso), he gave me a 2-peso bill (there are no 1-peso bills) because he didn't want to lose his treasured 1-peso coin. More and more, shops are turning down sales if it meant having to give away their 1-peso coins. So, I've caught on and I now save every one I get back in change (when I get them back). Click here to read the article and get a laugh out of what a crazy economy we have here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Some things here are just the opposite, in the US, I HATED change, always dumped them in a jar at the end of the day,and hated lugging them around, now I GUARD and save my change, mostly to be able to use the bus system, which is virtually all coins...Don't have change-Don't go nowhere! I took Yanqui Mike's advice with my local retailers, I help them out and give them coins...That way if I need em, they got em for me!
Yanqui Mike did a great article on the coin situation here.
Fred
Post a Comment