


Cusco is usually just a starting point for visitors off to Machu Picchu. At night the streets and plaza are peaceful and quiet, usually a mix of backpackers/hikers and locals, as well as some organized tour groups. Well, this week we got to see the real Cusco. The entire week was a celebration of San Blas (a local patron saint) and what a celebration it was. In front of the cathedral of San Blas, every night was a different party, with costumes, beer, dancing, fireworks and more. The organizers were very hospitable and tourists were all invited to participate and share in the festivities. We were offered hot and cold drinks (including something called ponche de habas, a local favorite made from beans but with a sweet taste).Additionally, Plaza de Armas is where many local vendors come to sell their wares. While we were walking through the plaza, a 9 or 10 year old kid came up to us, speaking perfect English. He was selling a ratty looking scarf. He wouldn't leave us alone, even after both of us in Spanish (mine with a horrible Argentine/Yanqui accent and his with a perfect Lima accent) told him we didn't want his ratty scarf. Well after a few minutes of this, I finally asked him how much. He knew we were just playing with him at this point and said "85 soles" (about 30 dollars). We all laughed and kept walking and, with the best actor's face ever, the kid then said, "I take VISA." After that, I had to buy it (for 10 soles - 3 dollars). I laughed so hard at this exchange that I asked Mario to take a picture of me and the kid. After the picture, the kid had the nerve to ask for another sol (about 33 cents) as a "propina" or tip. (The picture of us is above).

No comments:
Post a Comment