Powered By Blogger

02 September 2013

Distrito Federal (Mexico City) Whirlwind Tour!












The last time I was in Mexico City, it was 2010, so I figured it was time for a return back. Little did I know that 10,000+ teachers from across the country had decided to come to Mexico City to protest and, in doing so, pretty much shutting down many of the touristy sites (including the government buildings which are spectacular). In fact, a few days before I arrived, I received an email from my travel agency informing me my city tour had been cancelled and I was on my own.

It wasn't so bad after all but many photos (as you'll see) were partially blocked out by the tents of those spending the last two weeks there protesting (think Occupy Wall Street). I did have an opportunity to attend a special art exhibit at the Belles Artes museum,  eat some incredible Mexican food and obviously indulge in the Mexican beer.

Best of all, the last night of my stay, the Sheraton told all of its guests (at 6:30 pm) that there wouldn't be any electricity from 12 midnight to 5 am, which also meant no air conditioning. I had spent the entire day at the pyramids (with an altitude of 1,800 meters) so I was red as a lobster and definitely needed a/c to sleep. When I informed the management, they immediately arranged to have me stay at the 5 star Le Meridien about 10 blocks away and even upgraded me to a full suite so I had a quite relaxing and enjoyable last day in this lovely city.

To see more photos, click here.

No comments: