Powered By Blogger

27 November 2014

Thanksgiving in Cafayate and Salta, Argentina












 While most of my family and friends were busy shoveling out from a rare November snowstorm before Thanksgiving, I had already booked my ticket to fly from Buenos Aires to Salta, a very colonial and small city in the northwest of Argentina near Bolivia and Peru.

After spending the first night in Salta city, I took a 200 kilometer drive south to the town of Cafayate, which is known for producing outstanding Torrontes (white wine) and Malbec (red wine). I had lined up a few bodegas I wanted to visit and do some wine tasting.

The best part of the trip is actually getting to Cafayate. You drive through gorges in the Calchaqui Valley that are 90 to 100 million years old and are actually the reverse of the Grand Canyon. At the Grand Canyon, you view the natural gorges from above but in this region (which stretches 400 kilometers), you actually view them from the bottom. The rock formations and canyons were breathtaking and the "Garganta del Diablo" or the Devil's Throat, was incredible.

Click here to see more photos from my Thanksgiving Day journey.

No comments: