This past week, I took a mini-vacation and flew to Argentina’s
wine country – Mendoza. I’ve been here plenty of times before and always find
time to squeeze in a visit to a handful of new wineries. This trip was no
different. I gave my tour operator a list of the bodegas (wineries) I had
already been to and requested he choose three new ones. He did – Achaval Ferrer,
Catena Zapata and Vistalba.
All three are located in the Lujan de Cuyo region of Mendoza
and offered spectacular panoramic views of the Andes mountain chain.
The architecture
is what distinguishes most of the bodegas and all three featured their own
unique identity. At Catena Zapata, I was able to taste a magnificent $250
bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and at Vistalba, a similar bottle of Sauvignon
Blanc. Prior to the tour at Vistalba, I partook in their four paso (four course) gourmet lunch, where each plate was paired with a specific wine. What a treat!
I also managed to spend some quality time at an asado (Argentina
BBQ) where I celebrated the birthday of the daughter of some of my closest
friends in Argentina. Now, a BBQ in Argentina is not a traditional BBQ. It’s
literally slabs of meat weighing as much as 15-20 lbs. each that are prepared on
a wood-burning grill for upwards of two hours before they are ready. Periodically,
as the asador (the chef) realizes one of the cuts is ready, he will cut small
slices for those standing around the grill with him to taste and approve.
Yesterday, I took a "me day" at the Park Hyatt Mendoza where I was staying, to enjoy a 1/2 day spa package, and tomorrow I return back to Buenos Aires for 10 days, before
leaving for my next adventure – a full month in Cartagena, Colombia!
For more photos from this past week’s stay in Mendoza, click here.
For more photos from this past week’s stay in Mendoza, click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment