Powered By Blogger

25 April 2017

Songkran and Bangkok City













The middle of April marks Thailand and Cambodia's new year, which means a huge festival. Thailand celebrates its new year, known as Songkran, by engaging in four days of nationwide water fights. The tradition began centuries ago when monks would dip their hands into a plate of water and lightly splash passersby but this has devolved into an all-out water fight with plastic guns and the like.

I splurged and bought the biggest water gun I could find that I knew would deliver a punch. Then I sought off to see how many people I could drench and how wet I would be by night's end.  It was an amazing experience and made me feel like a kid again.

Here's a short video I took to show what it was like:



Also while in Bangkok, I toured Wat Po and Wat Arun, two of Thailand's  most famous Buddhist temples. Click here to see more photos from the new year celebration and the temples.



No comments: