Powered By Blogger

19 May 2010

Zoo Lujan - Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh My!











Most people visit the historical and quaint city of Lujan (about 70 kilometers west of Buenos Aires) for the majestic Basilica Nacional Nuestra Senora de Lujan, but I came for the zoo. Why travel two hours by bus to a zoo when the City of Buenos Aires has a great (albeit small) zoo just a few blocks from my flat? The pictures should make it obvious. This is the only zoo in the world that allows those brave enough to enter the animals cages under the supervision of a zookeeper.

The first visit inside a cage wasn't so bad. It was the home to a three-month old baby leopard. Even at that age, the teeth were pretty big and sharp so I was careful to follow the zookeeper's instructions and not touch his head. Well the baby leopard didn't prep me for what was next - entering a cage with not just one but FOUR adult tigers - all of whom were taking a traditional Argentine siesta. I was pretty hesitant but the zookeeper was very persistent (veni! veni!) that I follow him. He took my camera and took a succession of shots. The tiger I was petting was awake but quite tranquil (tranki, tranki!).

The next stop was to a cage with a rather large adult Bengal tiger. I had to enter through two separate secure entrances to ensure the tiger didn't try to leave with me. Well I started to chicken out after seeing the size of the animal (and the fact that it was quite awake and alert) but the zookeeper again demanded that I enter. He grabbed a bottle of milk and gave the tiger a bit. He then told me to do the same and - again - I said 'no thanks, can I please leave now,' but he would have none of it. So, I grabbed the bottle and began feeding him. At one point (as seen by the first photo above) he abruptly stopped drinking and turned toward me, putting me into a mild panic. The zookeeper quickly intervened and distracted him. At that point, I decided to leave while I still had all of my limbs.

The next animals (the camel and the elephants) were a breeze after my experience with Mr. Bengal. There are a lot of blogs of people with photos of them sitting on the tigers and lions (bears were off-limits today for some reason), but I could only gather enough courage to pet them and, even then, I was a bit scared. What's funny is that, on each cage, is a huge sign stating it is illegal to enter the cages. I guess they must have done that for liability, go figure!

After my excursion to the zoo, I needed a break so I headed to the historical center of Lujan where I enjoyed a much less stressful day exploring the beautiful cathedral and peaceful streets.

To see all of photos from today, click here.

No comments: