Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
17 March 2012
A day in Cusco
Set 3,350 meters (about 11,000 feet) above sea level, you certainly feel the lack of oxygen when you step off the plane upon arriving in Cusco. It's about a one-hour flight from Lima and this last Friday was my third trip to this magical city. Most people use Cusco as a stopping point before heading to Machu Picchu (either hiking or by train) but there is a lot to the city people often miss. The Plaza de Armas is the heart of the city and where most of the historical buildings are situated. Local foods include cue (guinea pig) and alpaca (similar to llama) and, of course, pisco sours can be found in every restaurant and bar. All of the hotels offer mate de coca (tea made from cocaine leaves) to help guests adjust to the altitude and, during the day, it's common to chew on the leaves from the cocaine plant to avoid altitude sickness.
To see more photos from this incredible city, click here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment