Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
12 October 2012
Cacerolazo!
In parts of Latin America, when a large segment of the population have complaints about the government, they often take to the streets with pots and pans, banging them with spoons to demonstrate their anger. In Argentina, these are aptly called "cacerolazos." And here, there's lots to complain about - insecurity, a dramatic increase in crime, corruption in the government, a movement to change the constitution to allow the current president to run for a third term (think Venezuela) and extreme currency restrictions. Put all of these together and you're asking for a pretty good sized cacerolazo to happen and it did. Through the use of social media, 250,000 people took to the streets of Buenos Aires (and tens of thousands more in other cities) on September 13 in what was the largest cacerolazo in a decade. The planning for the next one is already underway (it's scheduled for November 8) and unlike this past one, the November 8 cacerolazo will be worldwide, in front of Argentine embassies in North America, South America and Europe.
A nice recap video of the September 13 cacerolazo that shows its true magnitude can be viewed here and additional photos I took from this event can be seen here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment