One of the few high points of my trip to Ecuador was a visit to Bellavista Cloud Forest, at 2,800 meters above sea level (9,187 feet). A private reserver, it is home to hundreds of butterfly and bird species, and is most famously kwown for the variety of hummingbirds that call this place home. In fact, all you had to do was create a little pool in your fist using the sugar water they feed from and they will literally hover above your hand while they sip the water. In addition to butterflies and birds, I took a 10 kilometer hike through the forest, trekking through a river, climbing a small waterfall and searching for toucans (no luck).
According to their website, "The Reserve's goal is to educate the public about the significance of biodiversity in tropical cloud forests and the ever increasing importance of protecting these unique ecosystems. Bellavista and the Tandayapa Valley boasts over 330 recorded species of birds... and the list continues to grow! The Tanager-finch, Giant Antpitta, Swallow-tailed Nightjar, Plush-capped Finch, Beautiful Jay, and White-faced Nunbird are all found here."
On a side note, I expected the weather to be much cooler than it was, so I was planning on wearing a sweater the entire time. But, it was quite warm and, having not anticipated needing to take the sweater off, I chose to wear a politically incorrect t-shirt, so I apologize for the vulgar tshirt shown in one of the pictures above!
Click here to see all the photos from this great little side trip from Quito.

No comments:
Post a Comment