Powered By Blogger

23 March 2014

Philadelphia - The City of Brotherly Love












I've traveled to more than 80 countries, yet other than a few trips to Washington, DC, I never had the chance to really explore the political history of my own country until this week - when I took a train from New York City to Philadelphia.

The primary historical sights in Philly are all within a four block radius, meaning you only need a full day (which is all I had!) to take in the history. I started with an obligatory visit to the cracked Liberty Bell. When I arrived, there was a huge line to get in, but it went pretty quick. Worried about attacks by malcontents to the bell, you had to go through metal detectors before entering the building.

Next was a visit to Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed. You have to get tickets to go inside very early in the morning and I was too late, so I was only able to view it from the outside and walk the premises.

After that, I wandered to Chinatown, City Hall (the largest in the country), Betsy Ross House and then to the shopping district before heading back to New York City and home. It was definitely nice getting a better appreciation for all that our founding fathers did to help establish this country and provide for the enduring freedom of its citizens.

For more photos from my recent visit to Philadelphia, click here.

No comments: