Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
26 May 2015
Angkor Thom, Preah Khan, Banteay Samre & Pre Rup
Can you see me up top, in the picture below?
Today, my first full day in Siem Reap, I explored four of the most important Khmer Temples (with the exception of Angkor Wat, which I visit tomorrow). I was very fortunate today because, since this is low season, the temples were mostly deserted so I was able to get some great photos without other tourists in the shots!
Angkor Thom is the closest temple to my hotel and to the entrance of the park (and a U.N. World Heritage Site since 1992). Known as the "Great City," it was constructed in the 12th and 13th centuries by Jayavarman VII, one of Cambodia's greatest and most well-loved kings. The temple spread over five acres of land and is protected by a moat as well as an eight meter high wall. While there, I was given a blessing and a bracelet to wear by a Hindu religious official.
The second temple to explore was Preah Khan. It's the largest temple complex in all of Cambodia and some of the original construction dates back to the 9th century.
The third temple I visited was Banteay Samre. When discovered in the 19th century, this temple was almost completely destroyed but painstakingly reconstructed based on the stones remaining. This temple was also said to be the "training temple" where builders tested out their construction skills here before constructing Angkor Wat.
The final temple of the day was Pre Rup. Built in 953 AD, this temple was the tallest and most accessible so far. Unlike the other temples that were built using sandstone, the majority of this temple was constructed using brick.
Click here to see more photos from today's incredible excursion into the historical Angkor temples of Siem Reap!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment