This past week I was privileged to travel to the northwest corner of Argentina, near the borders of Chile and Bolivia, to spend time exploring this region of the country I call home. Using the city of Salta as my home base, I first traveled south to the Torrontes wine region of Cafayate. Along the way, I passed some incredible rock formations, including a natural amphitheater with amazing acoustics. This region is very similar to the Grand Canyon, but rather than looking down at it, you're looking up.
I then headed north to Quebrada de Humahuaca and Purmamarca, where the Mountain of Seven Colors is and which was named a UNESCO World Heritage site several years ago. A short trek took the small group of us to pre-Inca ruins of an entire village. Following this, I headed up 14,000 feet to San Antonio de los Cobres on an excursion called "Safari to the clouds." The final stop on this journey was at the Salinas Grandes, the world's third largest salt flat. It looked like I was in the middle of a frozen lake surrounded by mountains but it was actually a salt flat formed millions of years ago.
Of course, there was plenty of time for wine tasting and eating plenty of llama steaks. Click here to see more photos from my most recent excursion.

No comments:
Post a Comment