For my birthday, I decided to treat myself to a trip to Mexico. Flying into Mexico City, I spent a few days exploring the capital city as well as a small town about three hours outside of the city, called Puebla. It's home to one of the largest pyramids in the world and also for its 'mole', a delicious sauce made with chocolate, onion and other ingredients, which is smothered over a piece of chicken.
I then flew to Cancun for a week in my first all-inclusive resort (open bar 24/7!). I escaped for a few days to visit Isla Mujeres and Tulum. In Tulum, I explored the well-preserved ruins of an ancient Mayan port city.
After getting my fair share of sunburn (and eating/drinking way more than I should have), I returned to Mexico City for a few more days, where I explored Teotihuacán, one of the world's most impressive archeological sites - a pyramid city inhabited between 100 B.C. and 600 A.D. At its heyday, more than 150,000 people lived there, making it the largest metropolis in the world at that time.

No comments:
Post a Comment