Powered By Blogger

11 September 2020

Escaping to Colombia's Andes














 
 
After nearly six months in solitary confinement with one of the strictest lock downs in the world, Colombia finally announced the re-launch of domestic flights (to a select # of cities) starting September 1. Needless to say, after 180 days of dreary weather and no sunlight in Bogota, I hopped on the first flight to Medellin, the city of eternal spring. 

 I found a luxury eco-resort about 1.5 hours outside of Medellin in the Colombian Andes that offered me the reprieve I needed, where I could spend my days hiking and exploring pre-Inka trails, and enjoying the gourmet meals prepared by the hotel at night.  

The resort was amazing. I opted for a private bungalow, separate from the main hotel, to stay in. The window shades on both the first and second floor of the bungalow opened up entirely, offering a spectacular view of the surroundings. Food was top-notch and all of it was locally sourced. Imported wines from Spain offered a nice touch. 

The daily hikes were amazing, and a bit strenuous at times, climbing upward of 8,000 feet above sea level. The guides were incredibly knowledgeable and I learned a lot about the local flora and fauna.

If you're a Facebook friend, you can click here to see all of the photos from this long-awaited trip after quarantine ended!

No comments: