Powered By Blogger

06 May 2009

Cinco de Mayo

After asking co-workers and friends from Argentina about where the best place was to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and getting shrugs, I opted to try a bar nine blocks from my house called El Alamo. I was told by a co-worker that the place is filled with yanquis (Americans) and that nobody speaks Spanish there. So, I grabbed my friend Joshua, who speaks very limited English, and headed to El Alamo. Upon arriving, you have to pay a 20 peso cover and you are given a coupon for 20 pesos off your order - so basically you get in for free as long as you buy a drink.

The place is open 24 hours a day and has some of the cheapest beer around - 40 pesos for 4 liters! After waiting a few minutes for a seat at the bar to free up, we realized NOBODY spoke English. There was not one yanqui (besides myself) in the place. Also, there were no drink specials to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. They did have satellite TV though and was broadcasting an NBA game, so I was able to see some new US television commercials that aren't available here.

1 comment:

Fourpoint said...

A great place for a taco is Fabrica de Taco near Plaza Serrano (Palermo). They have a Mexican chef, and the tacos are muy bueno!

The owner of Alamo is American...

Fred