The night I arrived in Santiago, there were two after-shocks - one was a magnitude of 6 and the other a 4. The first came when I was in the first floor of the apartment of the person I'm couchsurfing with and the second came when we were having dinner. I didn't feel either.
Well, just ten minutes ago, in an apartment I'm renting on the 12th floor, we had two more after-shock within fifteen minutes of each other. One was a 7.2 and the other was a 6.9. While I was reading the news online, the glasses on the table started shaking and the furniture starting bouncing. I stood up and noticed the building moving as well. I quickly looked outside to see the building next to me shaking and all of the construction workers on top of the building across from me stopped working and went underneath a steel support beam.
The tremblings each only lasted about 2-3 minutes, but let me tell you, it was damn scary. When there are earthquakes or aftershocks, we were told to open the door to your apartment and stand underneath it, holding on to the door for support. The apartment I'm staying in is residential and empty this time of day, so only a handful of other tenants were out in the hall doing as we were supposed to.
In an hour, I'll be on a bus heading to the coast (Vina del Mar) so I doubt I will feel any more aftershocks while in motion. More to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment