I returned to Cusco, Peru in mid-May for my fifth time and every time I visit, I find this small city more and more captivating. Unfortunately, it's become a mecca for backpackers and everyone from around the world coming to visit Machu Picchu and, unfortunately for them, they only stay 1-2 days before heading out and don't have the necessary time to fully appreciate this UN World Heritage site.
More than 11,000 feet above sea level, it takes a few days for your lungs to adapt to the lack of oxygen and you definitely feel this after just a short walk up a hill. To help with this, you drink 'mate de coca,' or tea made from cocaine leaves, or even chew the leaves themselves to extract the medicinal values from this leaf that helps not only with altitude sickness but also with an upset stomach.
In the 15th century, Cusco was the capital of the Incan empire, a wealthy city whose stone buildings, which still form the structure of the city, were organized with incredible precision. Then in 1533, with the Incas weakened by civil war, Spanish soldiers showed up with rifles and horses to grab the gold and silver and slay those who resisted. They built a colonial capital atop the Incan city, constructing Catholic churches over the most revered Incan temples. Spain ruled until Peru won independence in the 1820s.
Unfortunately, while a mecca for tourism, there is still a lot of poverty amongst the locals. I've made it sort of a tradition to take a group of street kids to the local McDonalds for a Happy Meal every trip I make there, and this year was no different. It makes you feel good to put a little happiness into the lives of those less fortunate once in a while.
For more photos of this amazing city, click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment