Powered By Blogger

10 June 2013

Medellín, Colombia








I struggled writing this blog post. Medellin is the second largest city in Colombia and, due to its past history and reputation, is often shunned by tourists. In fact, a decade ago, it was ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

The reason I struggled with this post is because I hate accentuating the negative and the stereotype associated with Medellin but it's a fact of life.

You won't find dramatic architecture here as you would in Buenos Aires, nor will you find Michelin-rated restaurants as you would in Paris. But what you will find is a culture with some of the  warmest and friendliest people in the world.

When you ask a police officer for directions, he won't tell you where to go. He'll walk with you to  make sure you get there without getting lost. When you leave a cab because the driver can't find the exact address but you know you're close, the taxi driver will actually follow you to make sure you get there.

I knew I was in good hands when, less than a week here, I was invited to watch the Argentina/Colombia soccer match at a restaurant here owned by the brother of friends of my family dating back nearly 25 years. By the time I left, he (Mady) had introduced me to everyone in the restaurant and I truly felt like family.

This weekend I did a "hop on/hop off" bus tour to better acclimate myself with the city, so click here to see more photos from my tour around the city as well as other photos of my neighborhood.

No comments: