Powered By Blogger

07 December 2013

The cultural side of Bali

When people hear of Bali, the first thing that comes to mind are the incredible beaches. Well, that's true but there is a cultural side to Bali most who visit never have a chance to experience. This past Monday, I hired a driver to take me to some of the more educational sites. We began with a visit to a monkey park where you can buy peanuts and bananas to feed them.
There are caretakers all around keeping an eye on things but the alpha-male in the pack decided I wasn't feeding him enough so he jumped onto my shoulder from a tree above and scratched me on my shoulder until a keeper batted him away. Needless to say, I had to get antibiotics because who knows where his hand was last! Following this experience, I went on to tour several local temples including Tanah Lot, an absolutely breathtaking temple built on a huge rock in the sea. Thankfully there were no more monkeys in sight. Click here to see more photos from this off-the-beaten path excursion.

No comments: