Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
27 May 2014
Baru and Rosario Islands
This past long holiday weekend, I decided to celebrate my birthday early so I flew from Lima to Cartagena, Colombia. After checking into my hotel, I immediately booked two excursions - one to Isla Barú and the other to Isla del Rosario. Both are absolutely stunning islands about 45-60 kilometers off the shore of Cartagena, smack in the Caribbean sea. Best of all, both are private, so there were no more than 25 people on the island at any given time.
You take a high speed boat from the port at Cartagena for an hour until you arrive, slightly wet already from the waves slamming into the boat. Once on the island you have the option of snorkeling (I did last year and got stung by a poisonous sea urchin, so I passed this year), diving, kayaking, or just lounging around the beach and taking in the sun. A lunch of pescado frito (fried local fish) and arroz coco (rice with coconut) was served each day and the afternoons were spent drinking beer and relaxing.
Click here for more photos from these two beautiful islands and of my early birthday present to myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment