Powered By Blogger

19 May 2014

Sandboarding and Dune Buggy Racing in Huacachina











I just returned from Huachina, a huge mass of desert about four hours south of Lima, along the border of the Pacific. Much of Peru is actually a desert but this place was incredible. To get there, I had to take a bus to Paracas, then a taxi to Pisco, then a micro (small bus) to Ica, then a taxi to Huacachina. They certainly don't make it easy!

While there, I went on a dune buggy excursion where the driver hits speeds of more than 50 miles an hour on what feels like a roller coaster as you go up and down the huge mountains of sand (click the link on the video below to see what I mean). Once at the top of several of the plateaus, you get off and sand board down the slopes on your stomach (some brave souls did it standing up but I've already broken my leg once skiing that way!).

The tour ends with a view of the sun setting over the peaks of the mountains and you're then taken to a lagoon - an oasis in the middle of the desert - in time for an evening pisco sour before heading back to Paracas.

Click here to see more photos and click here to see a short 45 second video of what the dune buggy ride was like!

No comments: