Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
18 June 2014
Medellin - Don't let the name fool you
I spent a month last June living in Medellin and just returned there this last weekend for a visit. When most people hear the name "Medellin," they think of drug lords and Pablo Escobar. And, while just a few short years ago, Medellin was one of the most dangerous cities in the world, it's since turned itself around. In fact, last year it was named the "Most Innovative City in the World" by the Wall Street Journal.
In addition to having a great selection of restaurants (try the bendeja paisa - see my photo) and outstanding nightlife, there are tons of museums and at Plaza Botero you can see a large selection of some of his most famous sculptures. It's also a very pretty city viewed from the surrounding mountains and I took a trip to Cerro Nutibara, where I took some great panoramic photos.
It just so happened that I was in Medellin the weekend of the national election and was staying at a hotel often frequented by politicians. After the results came in and the incumbent, Santos, was declared the victor, I returned to the hotel to watch the Argentina-Bosnia soccer match. After it ended, I went to the lobby and out of nowhere, it was swarmed with police and military holding machine guns and other pretty intimidating weapons. I asked the front desk clerk what was going on and he said ex-President Uribe was staying on the 18th floor (the grand ballroom) where he would be addressing the media later that night.
Well, what do you know. A few minutes later, I run into him as he was waiting for the elevator. I was able to shake his hand but his personal security guards wouldn't let me take a photo.
Click here to see more photos of Medellin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment