Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
10 June 2014
Snorkeling at the Beach of the Dead
On my third day in Santa Marta and after a very exhausting day the day before, with nearly four hours of hiking in 90+ degree weather, I decided to take it easy and take in some snorkeling at Playa del Muerto (Beach of the Dead). It's more commonly known as Crystal Beach, which makes it a bit more appealing to visit.
To get there, I had to take an hour-long minivan ride to Tayrona National Park, outside of Santa Marta, Colombia. From there, I paid the park entrance fee and drove another 1/2 hour to a small port. From there, it was a short, ten minute, boat ride to this secluded beach. This is low season for tourism in the north of Colombia so the beach was nearly empty.
After spending a bit of time exploring the beach and having a local lunch (fried fish and yucca), I headed for a remote area of the beach that is known for its amazing coral reef, varieties of fish and great snorkeling.
Click here to see all of my photos from last weekend's excursion to the Beach of the Dead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment