Powered By Blogger

09 June 2014

Parque Nacional de Tayrona - Where the Gods go on Vacation










It has been said in Colombia that Santa Marta, the city closest to Tayrona National Park, is where the Gods go for vacation, and it could very well be true. I was fortunate enough to get a really cheap last-minute flight from Bogota to Barranquilla (where I had to take a two hour bus to Santa Marta) this past weekend, where I had the chance to explore Tayrona National Park for a few days.

To get to Tayrona, a UN-protected site, you must take a 1.5-2 hour bus to one of the three entrances. I chose to visit the Arrecifes Beach entrance the first day, and it's only reachable by foot. The bus dropped a small group of us off at the entrance and we had to take a nearly two hour hike through the Colombian jungle in 93 degree heat, where we even encountered an alligator in one of the fresh water ponds.

But the trek was worth it. It's considered one of the park's most special places and, because it takes a pretty big effort to get there and most people don't want to trek for two hours in 90+ degree weather in the sun, it was pretty much deserted when I arrived. The beaches were comparable to those in San Andres and even prettier than those I visited in Phuket, Thailand.

To see more photos, click here.

No comments: