Powered By Blogger

27 November 2016

Chilling in Cartagena









The weekend before Thanksgiving, I had a longer than usual layover in Bogota, Colombia on the way to Miami, so rather than spending the time there, I hopped on a short one-hour flight and went north to the walled city of Cartagena. With beautiful Caribbean beaches nearly on Baru Island (Isla Baru), and a rocking nightlife, this was the perfect place to spend a few days before returning to the chilly weather of New England.

On Isla Baru, I was able to take in some snorkeling and jet boating, as well as enjoy local cuisine such as shrimp ceviche and fried fish with coconut rice, and just relax. At night, I joined a chiva, which is a party bus that drives throughout the city of Cartagena with a live band on board. Every row of seats on the bus is given a bottle of rum and a bottle of coke, and as soon as it's empty, the tour guide is quick to replace it. This goes on for about four hours. There was a 92 year old woman from Chile on our chiva and she danced along with the best of them!

For more photos from this weekend excursion, click here.

No comments: