Powered By Blogger

15 July 2019

Iguazu Falls

















The best description of Iguazu Falls comes from Lonely Planet:

One of the planet’s most awe-inspiring sights, the Iguazú Falls are simply astounding. A visit is a jaw-dropping, visceral experience, and the power and noise of the cascades – a chain of hundreds of waterfalls nearly 3km in extension – live forever in the memory. An added benefit is the setting: the falls lie split between Brazil and Argentina in a large expanse of national park, much of it rainforest teeming with unique flora and fauna.
So true. And the pictures and video here don't do it justice. For the long Independence Day weekend, I flew to Puerto Iguazu, which sits on the borders of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. The first day was spent on the Brazilian side of the falls, which offers incredible panoramic views but lacks the intimacy of the Argentine side, which I visited my second day.

While there, I was also able to try some amazing local river fish - surubi, dorado and pacu pacu.  My last day, I was shopping in a local market and walked by a stall, and the woman working there looked at me and said, "mi pana". This is a Venezuelan expression for "my friend" and I knew she saw I was wearing my Venezuela baseball cap. We started talking and she was so happy that I was wearing the hat to show solidarity for the oppressed people of her country that she insisted we do a selfie for her to send back to her family and friends still there.

Here's a short video to show just how powerful Iguazu Falls are:


If you are my Facebook friend, you can click here to see all of the photos of my most recent adventure!

No comments: