Powered By Blogger

13 October 2009

Cordoba and the Sierras






The city of Cordoba and the capital of the province of the same name is a very laid back city (about 1.2 million people) without the intensity of Buenos Aires. The drive from the City of Cordoba to Villa General Belgrano was absolutely spectacular (see the first photo).

Friends of mine from Buenos Aires had told me that the people of Cordoba "sing" when they speak and they were right. Their accent and their tone when they speak makes it sound like they are singing. Additionally, they are very friendly - whether you are talking to a woman working in a kiosk selling snacks or someone on the street when asking for directions.

The architecture here is stunning as well - a mixture of new and old, with a lot of gothic-style churches. Their largest park, Parque Sarmiento, was full of cultural activities, an amusement park, and a zoo. Also, there was a national cultural event taking place in Nueva Cordoba with a series of concerts at night. While I didn't notice a big difference in the types of food, I did notice their alfajores (stuffed cookies) were filled mostly with fruit instead of dulce de leche, as in BA.

It was in Cordoba that I truly felt Argentine; I have a nickname now - Lita. I have always been a thrifty person and I was complaining about the cost of things in Cordoba - from the cost of a cup of coffee to the cost of alfajores. So, Pablo said, "Sos Lita." ("You are Lita.") Lita de Lazari is an old Argentine woman who was famous for advising people on how to save money. On some of her appearances on TV, she would go as far as having people travel kilometers to shop at a different store just to save a dollar (or a few pesos here). So now I am officially Lita!

No comments: