As I post this blog, the city is at a standstill - literally. For the fourth time in two months, the subway workers went on strike, this time during rush hour (19:00 to 22:00) when everyone is trying to get home. Without subtes, everyone is now stuck taking colectivos, and the lines for many of these stretch around the block. The strike got violent at Constitucion Station where subway workers began breaking windows on the cars while police just stood by and watched. Leaders of the strike are trying to form a different union than the one they belong to now. For more on this strick, click here.
Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
29 October 2009
Strike!
As I post this blog, the city is at a standstill - literally. For the fourth time in two months, the subway workers went on strike, this time during rush hour (19:00 to 22:00) when everyone is trying to get home. Without subtes, everyone is now stuck taking colectivos, and the lines for many of these stretch around the block. The strike got violent at Constitucion Station where subway workers began breaking windows on the cars while police just stood by and watched. Leaders of the strike are trying to form a different union than the one they belong to now. For more on this strick, click here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment