Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
14 December 2009
Not Everyone is in the Holiday Spirit Here
This morning, I woke up to news of a rather large riot taking place outside of the Congress building, just eight blocks from my apartment and one block from my office. Students were protesting the re-election of the head of the University of Buenos Aires (UBA). Across the street from my apartment, where UBA's School of Medicine is, and at the congress building, police clashed with protesters throwing rocks and concrete at them, while the police fired back with rubber bullets and tear gas. Things appear to have calmed down a bit, but I was a bit more careful than usual riding my bike to the office. Protests here are usually peaceful, but a good indicator of potential problems is when the protesters are wearing masks to hide their identity and carrying sticks and bats, which they were doing today.
No comments:
Post a Comment