Powered By Blogger

04 June 2009

Bill Gulya - my friend

My friend and mentor, Bill Gulya, died today. Bill was a figurehead and a role model to me. As I became politically active and started attending town meetings, I soon became aware of a strong presence at many of them. Bill, a retired teacher and WWII veteran, became an active and effective proponent of smaller government, and articulated his positions quite effectively at many budget hearings, Town Meetings, and other community forums.

He made a name for himself by simply reinforcing his (accurate) beliefs that our schools are administration heavy and that we spend too much on public education. A proud longtime resident and former educator, Bill loved taking the microphone at any Town Meeting to inform the transients about how their tax dollars were being spent/wasted.

Bill - you were not of the generation who used the internet, but - up there - you know that if and when I drive on the "Putnam Park Speedway" I will be thinking of you and remembering your service to the USA and to the taxpayers.

No comments: