
After walking along Calle Defensa today looking for bargains at the Sunday street fair, I continued until I hit Parque Lezama in a not-so-nice part of San Telmo. So, after hiding my digital camera and phone, I turned onto Calle Brasil and, across the street from the park was a spectacular Russian Orthodox church - similar to those I saw when I was in Kiev, Ukraine a few years ago.I wandered inside and there was a service taking place so I wasn't able to get any interior photos. Apparently, this is the only Russian Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and some of the icons were sent by Czar Nicholas after he was informed of its construction. The picture of the church's exterior doesn't do it justice, but due to the surrounding buildings, I wasn't able to get a good shot of it.
Later that day, I got my photo taken with a rather unusual street art exhibit (they wanted $800 USD for it!) and dined at Cafe San Juan with a friend. I started with a delicious mix of fried mushrooms and ham simmered in a garlic sauce, and had noquis with a shrimp sauce for the main dish. On any given Sunday, there could be a 2+ hour wait to get a table at Cafe San Juan, but due to the chilly weather (it was about 50 degrees F), we were seated right away.

No comments:
Post a Comment