I'm back in Buenos Aires. I arrived this afternoon and by the time I reached my apartment it was 93 degrees. This last month was incredible - I got to spend some really nice time with my parents (celebrated my father's b-day yesterday), sister/brother-in-law/nieces/nephews, and friends.
On the flight from JFK to Santiago (on my way back to BA), I was fortunate to have a row of seats to myself. Across the aisle was an older woman from Argentina who didn't speak any English. She was asking the kid next to her for help with a bag, but he didn't understand what she was saying, so I butted in.
Well, she loved to talk and she told me that she had been in New Jersey visiting relatives for the last three months (I'm assuming that was the length of her visa). It's pretty tough for Argentines (and most citizens of South America) to get visas so she was very fortunate. It was probably her first round-trip flight and she was a bit nervous, but it was so nice to see how happy she was to have been able to visit her relatives.
It's when talking with acquaintances like this that I realize how fortunate I am. I've been blessed with the opportunity to have visited over 60 countries. My parents are quickly catching up to me with their travels. So, when I arrived back at my apartment in BA and settled in....and when I start to bring "I LOVE NY" tshirts that I bought in Chinatown to my Argentine friends, most of whom will never have the opportunity to leave Argentina, let alone see NY, I have to give thanks for the opportunities I have been blessed with.
I still have 2 more photos/postings from the US I need to post - one with Marge, Billy, Paula, Marta (both from Mendoza) and another from Grand Central Station in New York City, that need to be added here, but that will be later this week.

No comments:
Post a Comment