In March of 1992, a bomb exploded at the Israeli Embassy at the corner of Arroyo and Suipacha streets. Twenty-nine people were killed (including the suicide bomber who drove a truck into the building) and nearly 250 injured. Today, at the site of the former embassy is a memorial with 21 trees and 7 benches in honor of those who unjustly died that day. This afternoon after work, I rode past it for probably the 100th time before I realized what it was. Although the small plaza's gate was locked, I was able to get a few pictures. There is a plaque that lists the victims' names and is written in both Spanish and Hebrew. Buenos Aires is home to South America's largest Jewish population and, in my neighborhood of Recoleta, it is quite common to see groups of them on the streets just going about business as usual in their traditional attire.
Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
20 January 2010
Israeli Memorial
In March of 1992, a bomb exploded at the Israeli Embassy at the corner of Arroyo and Suipacha streets. Twenty-nine people were killed (including the suicide bomber who drove a truck into the building) and nearly 250 injured. Today, at the site of the former embassy is a memorial with 21 trees and 7 benches in honor of those who unjustly died that day. This afternoon after work, I rode past it for probably the 100th time before I realized what it was. Although the small plaza's gate was locked, I was able to get a few pictures. There is a plaque that lists the victims' names and is written in both Spanish and Hebrew. Buenos Aires is home to South America's largest Jewish population and, in my neighborhood of Recoleta, it is quite common to see groups of them on the streets just going about business as usual in their traditional attire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment