Hi, I'm Matt and at any given time, I'm usually living in Buenos Aires, Lima, Peru or Bogota. After selling my house, my car and my furniture in Connecticut, USA, I moved here in the spring of 2007 and have created this blog to share some of my experiences in South America. I hope you enjoy!
15 February 2012
Earthquake in Lima
In 2010, I had the rather unfortunate coincidence of being in Santiago de Chile when an 8.2 magnitude earthquake hit. Having had an apartment on the 17th floor, the building was rocking back and forth like a scene out of a horror movie. Since then, I've always been a bit apprehensive when traveling to Lima and Chile, due to the high occurrence of earthquakes in these countries.
Well, one week after arriving in Lima, Peru for an extended periof of time before returning back to the USA in July, a 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit at 11:45 PM this Monday night while I was finishing dinner. I'm staying in a lovely apartment overlooking the Pacific ocean on the 13th floor and, even though it was just a 4.8, it jolted the building (and surrounding buildings) enough to cause many people to evacuate their apartments in their pajamas to avoid the possibility of danger inside. I, instead, stood in the 'zona segura' outside of the elevators, to wait things out.
So, after some thought, I decided to move to another apartment in Lima in a month; one located on a lower floor where the tremors/shaking/rattling felt are not as strong.
Tomorrow I am heading off to Colombia for 10 days, visiting both the capital city and Villa de Leyva, a national historical village founded in 1572 that is popular with Colombians who want to escape the city for long weekends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment