Powered By Blogger

21 February 2012

Villa de Leyva - Something to add to your bucket list






In the department (region) of Boyaca, Colombia sits the tranquil town of Villa de Leyva. Founded in 1572, this 'pueblo' hosts one of the largest town squares I have ever come across in my travels. During the day, it's pretty much empty with a few locals passing by on their way across town, but at night, it comes to light. The square is lined with bars, cafes and small stores selling food, beer and 'aguardiente," a local (and very popular) drink that is served as a shot and tastes very similar to Sambuca.

I stayed at Hotel Duruelo, the most chic place in town, situated on top of a hill overlooking the town. The facilities were incredible - three pools, golf, horseback riding and incredible views of the surroundings. I made a day trip that included a house made from mud (see the photo), the desert, and a large park. Yesterday, at the bus station as my friend Camilo and I were getting the schedule, two Argentine girls came over and asked us if we wanted to share a taxi to the waterfalls (cascadas). We did and had a great time.

If you are ever in Colombia and need a long weekend to relax and relieve stress, Villa de Leyva is the place go to. It's probably one of the most relaxed places I've come across throughout my travels in South America. Everyone is extremely friendly and all of the service personnel respond to your expression of thanks with "con mucho gusto," which means "with much pleasure" - and they mean it!

To see more photos from this beautiful oasis, click here.

No comments: