Powered By Blogger

27 February 2012

Monserrate






To paraphrase Wikipedia because I'm too lazy to describe it myself after a nearly 11 hour journey back to Lima, Peru from Bogota, "Monserrate is a mountain that dominates the city center of Bogotá, the capital city of Colombia. It rises to 3,152 metres (10,341 ft) above the sea level, where there is a church (built in the 17th century) with a shrine, devoted to "El Señor Caído" (Fallen Lord). The hill is a pilgrim destination, as well as a tourist attraction."

Monserrate can be accessed either by a tram or tunnel that runs through the mountain; or the more adventerous can hike up. On Sundays (the day I went), there were hundreds of Catholics making the hike up to attend Sunday mass. After leaving the tram, I noticed an elderly handicapped man using two specially designed crutches to walk up the fairly difficult flight of stairs. Everyone walked past him and nobody helped or even offered to. Finally, I realized he was alone and walked back down (along with two very kind Colombian women) to help him up to the sanctuary.

This excursion to Monserrate today was a really nice way of ending this 10 day journey to Colombia and I can't wait to plan my next trip back to this incredible country!

For more pictures, click here. PS: The photo credits from today and yesterday go to my friend Camilo, a budding photographer who forgot his camera and insisted on taking all the photos you see here.

No comments: