After two hours along a coastal highway, and witness to two pretty serious looking motorcycle accidents, we arrived at the Joan Miro hotel - a very quaint boutique hotel just one block from the beach and five blocks from the Conrad Punta del Este, the best hotel/casino in town.
After checking in, we headed out for a chivito, a delicious hamburger type dish served with ham, cheese, egg, and more - pretty filling and it costs under $3.00 US! Later that night we took the car to the casino (I won 50 Uruguayan pesos, about $2.50 US) and then headed to dinner at Isidora, a restaurant recommended by the Conrad Hotel for having outstanding seafood. I had a pretty decent seafood casserole, but nothing outstanding. I've had better seafood in the south of France and in Thailand.
Later during dinner, a very obvious looking Yanqui (slang for American) came into the restaurant and I swore I knew him. Well, it turns out it was a friend of a friend, who is an attorney in the US and who invests in properties in Argentina and Uruguay. He was vacationing at his newest place in Punta del Este. We exchanged business cards and agreed to catch up in Buenos Aires. What a small world!
Other than beaches, there isn't much to do in Punta del Este (except for shopping and a few regional museums), so the next few days we ventured to the beach. I walked for a few hours each day, got slightly sunburned and then took a siesta before heading to the shore to find a new place to eat. Punta del Este's claim to fame is a sculpture at Playa Brava, which are literally five gigantic fingers sticking out of the sand. It's pretty hokey but it's on all the postcards and of course I had to get my photo there on one of the afternoons.
Well now I'm back in BA and back to work tomorrow. Time flies....

No comments:
Post a Comment